Monday, April 27, 2009

Spring Training in Sweden

The trip to visit my Grandmother is going well and I am managing to train in the morning, spend time with my Grandmother during the day and put in a regular work-day -- working remotely from here. I can't seem to fall asleep before 3 am anyway..

I feel refreshed and fast again after being a bit over-trained for the Duathlon.
I feel like I am on track to achieve 2:10 this year for the Olympic distance. Getting to my ultimate goal of sub 2 hours is yet a few years away & swimming will be the road-block again. I am confident I can get there with the bike and the run.

This year to reach 2:10 -- The key will be getting a little faster on the swim as I still am very slow at swimming. I feel confident that my running and biking is on-track. I will be sure to put my Daughter into swim school as kids who start swimming early "find" the bio-mechanics effectively/quickly through programs and school. The same is not true for us adults..

Scott is getting ready to hammer me with some run workouts to get my speed to where it should be. I know I am capable of running a 17min 5k (if I schedule a peak and train for it), so I have no idea what happened at the Duathlon. In retrospect I would probably not have looked at my HR monitor except for the bike. The next time I do a sprint Duathlon I will probably just go by "feel". I was pretty excited and this drives my HR WAY up. For me, I believe looking at HR is important the first couple minutes after getting off the bike -- as it feels like you are running SO HARD, when in fact you are barely moving. I am convinced you almost have to take off like a sprinter and run through the pain (in the first 1.5 miles) until the legs loosen up -- just to get up to a decent pace & HR. I don't know what others have found or if I off on this.

Wednesday I start doing some track work (3.3k of swimming also thrown in for good measure):

WU: 15 minutes of easy running followed by 8*40m strides and light stretching. MS: 4*400 r10s at 10k pace then 400 very slow jog, repeat that 3 times. CD: 15-20 minutes easy jogging, stretch afterwards.

Happy training all, Sam

No comments: