Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Training with an Olympic Medalist! Fun!




I had a chance to do a trail run on Saturday with the Bejing 2008 Triathlon Silver Medalist! Simon (in the middle) won the Gold Medal at Sydney in 2000.


What fun! It was part of the grand opening of the new Athlete's Lounge store in NW Portland (26th/Vaughn). I also had a chance to ask him some trianing questions. The guy is amazing and such a good sport. He had amazing energy and focus. Shaking his hand and chatting with him made me realize that his entire life is based on a razor focus and determination (not to mention discipline).

It really gave me some inspiration to keep training hard.

Here is a photo of me wearing his Olympic Gold medal:
























Last week I managed 12 workouts in one week, but this week I'm sick unfortunately. Let's hope I bounce back quickly before Christmas and can gain some more fitness.

My ultimate goal is to get into the pool by 6am at least 3 times a week and start swimming about 4-5 hours a week. I think this is what I need to get stronger and faster. I also realize I need to do one anarobic swim (all out) once a week. Jeff Henderson has been giving me some good tips on swimming. I respect his advice as he swims 1.5k in 18 minutes in the open water during an Olympic Distance triathlon. He is as fast as a pro in that discipline. Training with a faster group would also help instead of always swimming slow on my own.

No comments: