Saturday, February 14, 2009

I took the plunge - I now have a coach



After much deliberation I decided that my training would be much more effective if I work with a coach. I think there are several reasons for having a coach in my situation. Besides the knowledge and aid a coach brings I think the collaborative process also yields positive gains. I have learned from the small amount of Triathlon training "knowledge" that I have -- that it isn't how hard you train...it is how well you train consistently without "burn-out". Planning is the most important training element perhaps, and the better you plan the better you train.

So who did I pick? I went with Scott McMillan who has a company called Factor 9 training: http://triathlonfever.com . Why did I pick Scott? I think the attractive factors were that he does coaching as his full time job, that he cares about detail, and he really cares about his athletes (and their goals and aspirations).

Why all this fuss about Triathlon? Some people think it is a little silly for people to do what we amateur triathletes do. Why work 45+ hours a week then workout for another 12+ hours on a regular basis (peaking well over 15 hours for some)?? What do we call these non-triathletes (who ask these logical questions)? Maybe they are the "regular people" (this is a cultish term I know)..and are we non-regular? I think serious athletes are somewhat "non-normal" but it seems very few of us have any "excuses". Being a pro is more socially acceptable though (and fewer questions asked), especially if the lifestyle has a shot at paying for "itself". This is probably because we grew-up watching the Olympics or other competitions. Collegiate sports are also pretty much not "questioned". Those college athletes seem less "nutty" to society.

So what are some theories for us "aging & full-time working" Triathletes? We do it because we "need to do it" and "that's that". No more explanation needed. We aren't always sure why "we need to do it" even. Perhaps it is the focus, the regularity that we achieve when transcending our limits each and every day -- the feeling that we get when we get yet another workout done? Perhaps we didn't like "everything" in our lives before we started down this path? Not sure, there are only a lot of questions...but one thing is for sure.. The addicted triathletes stopped asking these questions of themselves at some point and just accept that they have a "lifestyle" choice. Perhaps we are just coming out of the closet. Perhaps we always had some sort of addictive tendency and we need to find out where we can focus our energy?

Anyway, enough "belly button study". Maybe I told our little secret too openly. :)
So how is my training going? Well! It isn't easy, but I feel even more focused and I am learning so much. I don't have any crazy near-term goals, but I do have some rather irrational long-term goals. I want to give myself about 10 years to achieve them. I will work on shaving off a few minutes every year and build a healthy life-style rather than try to achieve too much too soon and not have fun (burn-out). Where do I want to be 5 years from now? I would love to go under sub 2 hours for the Olympic distance one day. Am I crazy? Maybe!

Sam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Sam! I am sure you will find it AMAZING how much you didn't know about how to train. I am sure finding that. My advice: trust your coach, and be patient!
Let me know how it goes. I am sure a sub-2hr Olympic is in your future. :)
--Meg